Drop-off composting is for devoted “earth keepers” who don’t have a better method of composting. People do this in NYC at the Greenmarket Farmers Markets. They walk their compostables to the market every week; there’s something to be said for that commitment! Good on ya.
- CompoKeeper (for collecting food waste in the kitchen)
- Mode of transportation
- If your municipality does not offer the service, enter your Zip code into http://www.findacomposter.com to see if there is a nearby collection site/ facility like the Greenmarket where you can bring your compost.
- Learn what items this facility will and will not accept for composting.
- Understand if there are allotted time slots or costs involved in dropping off compostable matter.
Trash to Treasure:
- Check out our list of universally accepted compostables to learn what you can and be composted.
- Check with the facility that’s processing the compost to see if they have any preferences or restrictions on certain items.
- Find a neighbor who wants to compost too and suggest working together to make the trip to the facility or Greenmarket on alternating weeks.